Skip to main content

My conversation with Winter, God and Coffee


My family on  a hike  near Mt. Vernon, Iowa. Circa 2015 

Hi Winter, I see you. Heck, how can I not. I've done my best, but it's time to admit something really, really scary. You're bigger than me, you're meaner than me, though on a day like today when the added gob-smacking of sleep deprivation (Auntie Menny- as in Menapause missed the memo that she could skip her visit this week) and well, time to face facts. 

 I just cannot deal.

You see I used to  be able to tough it out. The photo depicts me doing just that. On an impossibly cold day here I am behind 4  out of 5 of my family members, plus Chuckles our dog. Missing  that day was our oldest son. It was the kind of cold that cuts to the  bone, most days here in January, February do just that. 

I agreed to  go for this "hike" with our family during Christmas break, my mom guilt hovering steady in the "make sure there are good memories" pressuring myself. Our oldest and only  daughter, Juliette, was a student at  Benedictine College, in Atchison, Kansas which is about 5 hours away. She loves to hike, as does my husband, and younger sons Joseph and Martin who  were high school  and middle school age weren't actively protesting outings with their folks at this stage for some miraculous reason. 

Palisades State Park is along a river, so the "hiking" is more a less whatever upward slanting rivers do  to have water flow. I'm not a hydraulics expert, so that is the gist of my explanation. 

All I know is that it never once occurred to me  as a Californian moving to the Midwest how much I took for granted the endowment nature bestowed to my native Golden state, and how strikingly lacking in it the poor Hawkeye State is.

Back to my admitted defeat over winter. 

This January 2024 in Cedar Rapids was the worst on record, though record keepers might dispute that. I literally didn't leave my home for the better part of 3 weeks, including missing Mass on the Second Sunday of Ordinary Time. I had drawn up a new set of boundaries for myself, and when wind chills are negative 30, AND ice is still on the roads, I stay put. 

That was when I had to admit defeat. Winter had won, and Jenny had lost and there was  nothing  to be done about it. Yes I had the usual teary  eyed rants on full display for my patient but weary husband about "can  we just decide already  to move to a warmer climate." My lingering sleep problems  that plague me added to this sense of weakness, turning eventually into moods I was having trouble keeping in check. I am no stranger to depression, having had my  first full blown diagnosis in 1997 after the birth of our second child which fell on the  dawn of my parents' divorce. I know what not coping looks like. 

Last October, I signed up for a low-cost membership to an online Catholic Wellness community. Their weekly optional bible study meetings (Lectio Divina) were staffed with kind, non-judgemental and well studied in their craft Catholics. Once a week I found myself staring into the faces on Zoom of fellow wellness-seekers, of different ages, backgrounds and challenges they were all humbly laying at the foot of the Cross. Over and over again, the message of the community came out in kind exchanges. 

"Jenny, stop relying on yourself. Christ, the Divine Physician, wills your good and wants  you  to be fully alive in mind, body, spirit and soul." 

This small beginning  last fall carried me during some tough stretches of 2023's end: the death of our beloved Chuckles, ongoing estrangement from my family  of origin that I feel more acutely during the holiday season, the inner pang that is my still adjusting heart to empty-nesting, having been a SAHM since 1996. My heart had so many holes in it, and combined with the push of middle age, and the "loyalty" of menapause and it's myriad of lingering surprises, I was in over my  head, and in need of true healing.

And then came the one-two punch of January, and I found myself spiraling once again. But it wasn't permanent, and with the resources I had amassed from my better understanding of Christ at the center of wellness, I reached for more help. And as always, The Father answered. 

This blog will now be repurposed to focus on that ongoing effort, progress, and graces accumulated through our beloved God.

I'm happy  to  say I feel better already. It's been over 10 years of migraines, sleep issues, mood swings, and milestones  galore. But I know better than to try to tackle more mountains in one trek. So I start with that first sip every morning, and resume asking Him to meet my  needs...




"Hello Father, it's me. Jenny, you daughter.Thank you for (gratitude list), and would you guide me today  on (worry list)? Ok, I'm listening...."

"Daughter, Your faith has saved you," Gospel of St. Mark, Chapter 5 

If you're new to this blog, welcome. 

If you're curious about wellness from a Catholic perspective, check out: 

https://cmfcuro.com/how-it-works/

Until  next time, be assured of my  prayers for you. Best, Jenny B💖



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What else should we "redefine" for the sake of equality?   The marriage debate continues on in the United States, we will hear this June how the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on the matter, possibly overriding the state of California's passage of Prop. 8, which defines marriage as one man and one woman. Infertility is also in the baby steps of being re-defined. California is introducing legislation, AB 460, that would mandate insurance coverage for same-sex couples who wish to undergo fertility treatments to conceive a child of their own. Check out http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/04/08/CA-legislation-insurance-gay-infertility . Birth certificates , specifically the terms "mother" and "father" are also being redefined.  I first heard about this going on in France, my husband's native country, and figured "that can't happen here". I was wrong. Iowa is looking at doing the same.   http://thegazette.com/2013/05/03/iow

Good Morning Writers!

Good Morning Writers! If you're like me you fall into a rut sometimes with writing - I have had that same problem for the past couple of days, for some reason the "thrill" is gone and writing feels just like a chore. It has not stopped me from being productive. For example, today on Demandstudios.com, a website where approved writers can select assignments and write for pay, I took on "fentanyl citrate" and did just a 30 word blurb. This was helpful because it was a small, doable assignment and allowed me to feel like I was accomplishing something. Fentanyl citrate btw is an anesthetic used on for pain management in cancer patients, and also as a general anesthesia in operating rooms, or at least I think that's right. In any case - I posted the finished piece and am waiting for approval. Then I went on to "where is Godiva chocolate manufactured?" Food? Yes ! So I then went on to do the research - never as easy or as straight forward, Google or no

Stop complaining about the weather, Jenny

Good morning and Happy Divine Mercy Sunday.  Today is April 16, 2023 and I am sitting at my desk in our still-new-to-us home in the quaint town of Robins, Iowa.  It's gonna be crap weather today, thank you fake Midwest spring. We had a week of teasing, "see this is how to be normal" spring weather, with a summer heat wave inserted. I broke out shorts, flip flops. We even started running the a/c.  And today, the high will be 38. Good grief Iowa, just when I think I can "accept" you, you turn on me.   Yesterday  was an entirely different deal. Sunny, warm, and also "Opening Day" for the lawn mower. That's like, a seriously big deal when you live in the Midwest. You get to put the snow blower in the most rear-location in the garage, and say "buh bye," for the season.  Then you hope the the lawn mower start, which is not an easy thing after sitting idle for a long winter.  My dear husband succeeded, however, in getting it started and he disap